Monday, May 2, 2016

Run. Help a Child. Eat a Cookie.

Yep. That's me in a nutshell. I love to run. Half of my regular races have something to do with helping kids. And well, I'm a known cookie addict.

The sponsor that was putting on the Chip's Share it Forward 5k race this year had shirts for sale with this tag line, "Run. Help a child. Eat a cookie." printed on them, and I knew I had to have one. I was happy to be participating in the second Chip's run this year. This past winter was the first winter in four years that I didn't have to train through the winter months to prepare for a half, or a full, or both! And I was itching for a race. I hadn't raced since Soaring Wings in October. I wasn't looking for a distance run, just the excitement and adrenaline rush that comes with a group of people all running for a purpose.

The course this year was a little different from the inaugural race last year, but it was still just as beautiful. I had convinced Scott to run the 5k with me in hopes that he could set the pace for me and maybe I could PR. Or at the very least, maybe beat last year's time for this race. I felt good going into race day even though it was overcast and I felt the humidity sitting in the air. It wasn't bad, but I think it still affected me. I enjoyed the run but started to struggle a bit in the second half. The horses I knew we would see on the course did not disappoint and were a lovely distraction. Because parts of the course double back, we got to see friends a couple times along the way. It really is a fun run to be a part of! We finished in 28 minutes flat with an average pace of 9:01 per mile. That's not a PR, but it was just a few seconds faster than last year. Although, I'm not sure it counts if the course was different. :)

I love this race and I love the cause it supports. Because of the runners, and donations that came in, and the sponsors selling various things are the race, 42 kids from the local children's home and also low income homes will be able to go to summer camp this year! That's twice as many as last year! I'm already looking forward to next year.


No comments: