Friday, November 4, 2016

A Perfect Day for a 5k PR, and Then Some.

Summer came and went, and we are well in to fall... Sort of. It's still hot. Not middle of the summer in the south hot, but we're still reaching mid 80's around here. It's been a rough season for training, but I was determined to work hard. Not only was I preparing for Race for the Cure, I have also been training for a half marathon, but ultimately all the training is for my full marathon in January. Some runs have been amazing. Others left me feeling defeated. Mostly though, I have been somewhere in the middle. A couple weeks ago I ran in my 9th Race for the Cure. The last couple years I came in just short of a 5k PR so this year I decided it was absolutely going to happen.

I always look forward to Race for the Cure, but this year I was especially excited because Scott was racing it with me. I don't know about other Komen races around the country, but here there's the main 5k in which only women participate, and before that there is a competitive 5k that both men and women can do. Scott is my rock, and while I knew the training had been all me, I was counting on him to keep me going. I know the course well, and I know where I tend to struggle.

It was a perfectly cold morning for a race. We got to the starting line, where our kids and my mom would see us off, pretty early. With about 15 minutes to go before the race started, Scott and I decided to go do a slow warm up run. I don't normally do that before a race, but I was too cold just waiting around. Also, when I started thinking about it, when I did my speed runs while training, I would do a slow mile first. So I hoped this warmup would help me.



Back at the start line I did some last minute shoe checking and the next thing I knew, the emcee was saying a prayer and it was time to start! As usual I started a bit too fast and Scott was telling me to slow down. I tried, but I felt really good and figured if I was faster in the beginning, it would maybe make up for when I started to struggle. I also know it's really better to start slower and build up. I was dealing with a lot of conflict in my head. lol


We passed the first mile and I knew we would be getting ready to make our first pass over the bridge that takes us over the river. From the base, it's about 1/4 mile to the top where it levels out for a little bit before going back down. It's a mental thing at this point. I know how hard it is and so I start to psych myself out. I know I slowed down a bit, but I was able to get it back on the downhill and while we looped the block to get back to the same bridge. I knew if I could just get to the top of the bridge, I'll have made it past the worst of the course, and also only have a little over half a mile left until the finish line. Not to say that last half mile is easy. Once we go down the other side of the bridge, it's a gentle incline to the finish line for most of it. And I feel every bit of it.

Because this race is to support breast cancer, I try to focus on the reason the event happens in the first place. Like most people, I know many who have won, and lost, a battle with cancer. I will go through their names while I run. Sometimes I lose that focus, so when Scott and I were in the last 1/4 mile and he knew I needed a boost he said, "Who are you running for??" and I shouted back the name of my friend who has survived breast cancer not once, but twice. And then continued the names of my loved ones in my head until we made the last turn and I saw the finish line. I knew I was close to my goal pace, and I also knew that my mom and kids came to the race to watch me get a PR. And that's exactly what I intended to do. My kick came in and I sprinted the final stretch. I knew I had it, but it still made me choke up when I looked down at RunKeeper and officially saw my time and pace.


My goal was a finishing time of anything in the 27 minute range (or less of course :) ) and an average pace in the 8:40's. RunKeeper and my official race chip time were very close, putting my time at 27:40 and average pace of 8:44. Scott and I placed 138 & 139 out of 321 competitive runners, and 80th out of 247 women.


I am very pleased with how everything went! Once we finished my mom took a few pictures and then she and my kids headed home. I wanted to stay for the survivor parade. Since that didn't start for another almost hour and a half, Scott and I decided to get in the rest of the miles we needed for our half marathon/marathon training. Running around the river is beautiful. It's a great distraction. We won't talk about the inclines (or stairs) of the bridges we used to cross the river, yet again. It's impossible to run around Little Rock without dealing with hills. :)


We got back with minutes to spare before the survivor parade began. It's always an emotional experience seeing all these women, young and old, coming down the street. They are so brave. So strong. So very inspiring. It's a good way to end the whole experience.


Race for the Cure is a fun race to do. The course and sideline support are awesome. But it's important to remember why it's happening in the first place. It is my constant prayer that a cure is found. When that happens, this race will be an even bigger celebration. I look forward to that day very much!

No comments: