Friday, August 14, 2015

Goodbye, Summer... Hello, Routine!

What a crazy summer break we have had! My running has been erratic, and at one point, I feel, non existent. I picked it up just enough to be somewhat ready for my beach 5k, but mostly I've been fairly relaxed about it. However, it occurred to me that I'm behind in my training for Soaring Wings. Well, not behind. Just not where I normally prefer to be.

This week I began my official training for the half marathon and while it's been nice not having a structured plan, I'm very much looking forward to the routine my training will bring. Saying goodbye to summer, unfortunately , does not mean goodbye hot weather. Last year about this time I wrote about sleep, the heat, and how one of them had to give. This year I'm choosing sleep and praying the hot weather doesn't last. :) Until then, I go out and do what I can with very little expectations.

I haven't set a time goal for Soaring Wings. I just want to go out, enjoy a couple hours running with Scott, support the children's home, and get my beautiful medal. :) I'm sure once I get further in to training I'll set a little goal. Maybe. lol I really just want to have fun. No stress.

The race is in 10 weeks and my training plan has me running 4 days a week, cross training one day, maybe two if I choose, and a rest day. The second cross training day can be a rest day. I plan to take that a week at a time. It's a fairly busy plan, but like I said earlier, I believe I need this structure after so much time away. I think it's going to be great!

I also have Race for the Cure a couple weeks before Soaring Wings. I am hoping to do the competitive run again, and because of that, I will use one day a week for speed training. I'm not looking for a PR this year, but I do want to make top 300 again. The last two years I have done that, I was trying for a PR though. So we'll see. It's a goal. A loose one, but a goal nonetheless. :)

I have a lot to look forward to in the next couple months. Hopefully with all the regular, real life stuff that I have going on, the routine of my training plan will keep me grounded.

It's going to be a good training season. :-D

No comments: